12 Simple Beauty Tips That Will Make All The Difference
The following tips are from beauty writer and makeup artist Annamarie Tendler, author of The Daily Face: 25 Makeup Looks for Day, Night, and Everything In Between!.
1. Contouring is easier than you think.
We’re not talking Kardashian contouring. This is a five minute routine that will give your cheekbones an extra boost by creating a simple highlight and shadow.
1. With your finger, dot highlighter in a diagonal line from the apple of your cheeks to your temple and blend very well into the skin.
2. With an angled blush brush, apply a matte blush (a couple shades darker than your natural skin tone) in a sweeping motion underneath your cheekbones.
2. If you don’t have bad skin, don’t wear foundation.
At least not on a daily basis. I’ll give you a pass for fancy events or if you’re having your photo taken. Foundation only clogs your pores.
3. If you DO have bad skin, don’t wear foundation.
Of course I know you will want to cover up blemishes when you’re going to work, on a date, etc, and that’s understandable. What I’m really saying is remember to give yourself makeup-free days. Foundation will make your zits worse.
4. Find your perfect shade of red lipstick.
This is personal, not a science, so don’t let anyone tell you there are certain reds you can’t or shouldn’t wear. I don’t subscribe to hard and fast rules. Here are tips that will help you choose which direction to go in.
1. Orange-reds – Bright, lively, often better suited for daytime (but again, no rules)
2. Blue-reds – Deep, dramatic, often very nighttime-y
3. True red – Somewhere in between the other two. Suitable whenever!
5. Know how to curl your eyelashes.
That is, unless you have perfect naturally curled lashes, in which case count your blessings. If you’re like the rest of us, start at the base of your lashes and make 2 or 3 impressions in an upward C curve.
6. Use mascara.
Mascara is the most important piece of makeup you can own. If you are only willing to spend 10 seconds on your beauty regimen, use that time applying mascara.
7. Keep lashes curly with waterproof mascara.
If you just curled your lashes, use waterproof mascara instead of regular. It won’t weigh down your lashes and they will retain their curl better.
8. Find the correct shade of brow pencil.
Brow pencils are not one size fits all. They actually come in different shades, which you should match to the color of your hair. If you are blond, don’t use a brown brow pencil – you will look crazy. Also, you’ll notice eye brow hair tends to be more ashy (or neutral) than head hair, so don’t use eyeliner pencils on your brows. Those shades are much too warm and will look unnatural.
9. Know how to do a mean cat eye.
Because it wouldn’t hurt if we all channeled a little Brigitte Bardot.
10. Know how to apply individual fake lashes.
They aren’t a necessity, but they sure are fun.
11. Use lip liner with bright or dark lipsticks.
This will help keep your lines clean and will keep the lipstick from bleeding. Make sure to blend the lip liner into your lipstick so you don’t have a visible ring around your mouth. It’s one of many looks from the ’90s we shouldn’t bring back.
12. Whiten your teeth if you’re wearing bright pink lips.
Bright pink shades will bring out the yellow tones in your teeth, so make sure they are white if you’re going for this bold color.